Sunday, June 14, 2009

Holy Smokes!


I have a confession to make. I think smoking is a nasty, filthy habit. It makes my eyes water, my throat itch and the smell is just atrocious. And this is second hand smoke. I cannot stand the stale veil that descends all over my hair and clothes when I am near someone who is feverishly smoking.


My confession is......I am completely enamoured with the almighty Hookah. Do I not look happily entranced in the accompanying picture? This was last night. My companion took it, I was exhaling and talking, hence the weird slack-jawed gaze. I live in a very diverse neighborhood and there is an area about a 5 minute walk from me called "little Egypt". A while back, I went there with a friend and we ate some wonderful food and I was curious about the pipes everyone was smoking. The smell was intoxicating. It was nothing like regular cigarette smoke. Different parts of the room smelled differently. I asked our waitress about these pipes and if she recommended us trying it. She was pretty enthusiastic about it. She helped us figure out what to order and she assured us that even as non-smokers we would love it.


She was indeed correct! We ordered the fancy fruit shisha. Shisha is a specially treated tobacco (they use honey, fruit, spices and different flavors). The tobacco is packed into a hollowed out grapefruit shell. This is placed over a water chamber (think fancy bong-ish sort of contraption). There are hot coals placed over the top of the grapefruit. You take a puff from a long elaborate embroidered hose and the tobacco smoke is pulled through the water chamber and then filters out to you through the hose. The smoke is a huge dramatic cloud but it is shockingly inoffensive and gentle. The result is a smooooooooth deliciously sweet and spicy smoke. It's like a calorie free dessert. My current favorite is called blue mist. It's blueberry flavoured. The grapefruit gives it a little kick but it is perfectly rounded and well balanced. I wish I could take everyone of you and sit you down to try this. It is truly special. This is the only smoke that I actually love being blown in my face. It smells that good. I must reiterate that it is nothing like cigarette smoke at all. My second favorite combo is guava and lime in the grapefruit shell. Smoked alongside a fruit smoothy or a cold refreshing drink it is a true treat on a warm evening.


The thing that makes this even more of an experience is sitting outdoors in the quiet of the evening with others who are doing the same thing. New friends are made, the stress of the day is forgotton and at some point very late in the evening, belly dancers arrive and then the fun starts. Loud, energizing music, people getting up and randomly dancing with the girls, laughter and chatter. It's like coming home and I love it. Even in cooler weather and on a weeknight when it is tamer there are people gathered watching whatever happens to be on TV or Arabic television or Arabic music videos which are elaborate and hard to take your eyes off of. The experience is truly a treat for the senses and I am in a habit now of dropping in whenever I can.


Oh and just a little rave for the movie we saw last night, "The Hangover". Excellent potty humored comedy, highly recommended. I was pleasantly surprised to see Bradley Cooper looking sizzlingly hot in this. I never liked him till this movie but he was undeniably sexy and has really come into his own. Two thumbs up for this summer release.


That's all for now :)

No comments: