Monday, September 22, 2008

Lets Dance

In honor of my favorite show starting a new season tonite, I would like to post a video of a song that says it all. I have been watching Dancing With The Stars for a few years now and it always sucks me in. This season I have a more personal investment in it due to a really klassy man on the subway today loudly telling me in front of a very crowded car of people that I have a "bangin'ass like Kim Kardashian" just as the train pulled into the 59th street station. For the uninformed reading this, Kim Kardashian is appearing in this seasons show as a celeb dancer. Oh and P.S, my derriere is hugely FAT in case you were wondering.

Long before this show I have always wanted to take dance lessons and learn enough to be able to stop embarrassing myself out on the dance floor. I am what you would call a "free form" dancer. Did you ever see Elaine on Seinfeld dance? Well, I'm not THAT bad but I would like to be able to confidently go out there and shake my money maker with no fear of making people laugh or run away. I am planning to take dance lessons this winter and I am really hoping to be able to learn some exciting Latin dances while doing it.

I thought of this song because well, it talks about dancing and it is a song that really takes me back. It was hugely popular when I was in high school. I even went to see the legendary Mr Bowie in concert and yes, he was God-like. It is 26 years later (OMG, WHEN DID I GET SO OLD???????) and I still remember every single word to this one. I love the beat, I love the old dude in the bar doing the funky chicken, I love the girl in the red shoes out in the dirt dancing and David Bowie is just about the coolest man alive next to Jackie Chan. Not to mention the fact that Bowie does not even pretend to be playing the guitar he is holding. What else could you want from a song or video? Of course there is a social statement made here about materialism and the red shoes are symbolic of the start of it all for the couple shown, but I'd rather just focus on the music and the man singing it. This was made at a time when videos were not as high falutin'. MTV was fairly new and this was one of the more interesting offerings at the time. It really does make me want to put on some red shoes and dance my blues ,and who else could get away with saying the words "because my love for you, would break my heart in two.... if you should fall into my arms and tremble like a floooooooooower" besides Bowie? I'm sure I'm getting old and losing touch here, but to me this song is still just as good today as it was then. It doesn't sound dated to me at all and it has a good beat and some interesting lyrics. And the phrase "serious moonlight" alone makes it something that people should hear. I present for your listening pleasure Mr David Bowie crooning "Lets Dance"......



3 comments:

Abby said...

Thoroughly enjoyed that blast from the past. What a great song. I think the guitarist was Stevie Ray Vaughn. He was a god on the guitar.

Take the dance lessons. I took ballroom dancing one semester in college and it was a lot of fun. I did learn that I like to lead, which makes it tough for a partner.

Patti said...

Great post, Miss Fuss! And thanks for the Bowie!
I watched the first show and thought Kim Kardashian looked beautiful.

L.M.F said...

I liked Kim too. Not my fave though. I read that SRV was the guitarist there and he and Bowie had a falling out just before the album launched. His talent is amazing! I have always been told that I only know how to lead too! LOL! Futher evidence of my control freak tendencies :)