Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Funky Wednesday

I have to post tommorows post a bit early but.....Submitted for your approval today, a little thing called old skool FUNK. If you are younger than....say......35...you missed it the first time around. I was there.....I was young, the year was 1977. I was so proud of my platform shoes that my mother freaked out over and swore I would trip and kill myself wearing. I also carried a HUGE comb in my back pocket of my painter pants, yes, I said painter pants....(many people carried picks, remember those?). I was heavily into cowl necks and velour anything, as long as it would showcase my "live, love, laugh" gold necklace. I tried my damndest to conform to the Farrah haircut, but as a curly haired girl, this was pure torture to create and maintain. I ended up looking like I had two breakfast sausage links covering each ear. Those were tough times. The music made up for it though.


Funk is like disco but with a heart and soul. It's a combo of soul, jazz and R&B with a very intense, driving beat. Funk makes you want to get up and make a fool out of yourself shaking your moneymaker, even completely sober. This song is probably the only song on earth that makes me immediately want to get up and dance (honorable mentions go to Jackson 5 Dancing Machine and James Browns Get Up (I Feel Like Being a Sex Machine). I always used to say to the man that when we got married, this would be the song I would walk down the aisle to. Oh yeah, that's the stuff. What a demur bride I aspire to be. Once, I downloaded this song to my phone as a ringBACK tone by accident. I did not realize I had done this and I was interviewing for jobs at the time. Every person who called me got this as a recording before getting my voicemail. And to think I wondered why I wasn't getting any callbacks after all the resumes I had sent out.


Of special note is my embarassing lifetime belief that the words to the last part of the chorus were "shicka dow shicka dow shicka dow now ....when the words are actually "shake it down, shake it down, shake it down now". This video is pretty boring and repetitive unless you are really into huge 'fros and space suits or you're trying to decide on a Halloween costume and are looking for inspiration. The song stands alone though.


No comments: