Sunday, August 24, 2008

Monday Mourning


Why is it that every Monday is so painful for me? Is it because I have just had a weekend of not being held to a schedule and Monday heralds the return of the alarm clock and one hour to compose myself and run out into the world looking fully refreshed and ready to go? When I am asked to do something for my job on a Monday, I always have to say yes. It's not like Thursday where I can mumble, gee, it's already Thursday, tomorrow is Friday...why don't we leave this till next week? The Thursday excuse always works. Monday means I should be in a wonder-woman like state, ready to tackle anything with no complaints.


The issue here is that I am an extremely nocturnal creature. It takes only one day off for me to be up till 3 or 4 am and sleeping till noon. Sunday night is usually fraught with anxiety at not being able to go to sleep at a decent hour and knowing that I am going to be in a semi coma-like state on Monday when everyone else is at their maximum perkiness. There are very few people in my life who truly understand this dilemma. It became apparent when I was a small child. My mother would always find me awake in my room quietly playing long after my bedtime. I just could not go to sleep at the same time as everyone else. As an adult I met a man who explained to me the whole concept of my internal body clock and that it was probably set like this at birth. I could change it temporarily but I would always revert back to my norm. Sundays are the beginning of it all. I feel a sense of dread on Sundays. I can't even live in the moment and enjoy not working because I know it will shortly be over and I will be back into that grind that I hate so much. I enjoy my job but I do not enjoy being on that schedule. I hate everything about mornings here. Coffee, perkiness, morning newspapers, exposure to lots of people and noise,morning TV (all those mind numbingly stupid Good Day shows).


Oh those shows. I don't care that there is a place that will help me lose weight via acupuncture as well as get rid of my mustache at the same time. SHUT UP. I WANT TO SLEEP. I also do not want to see the chef from one of the "hottest" restaurants in town preparing his signature grilled chicken just in time for all those family BBQ's I will never be attending anyway. And most of all, I do not want to watch 400 screaming tweens going into mass hysteria at Miley Cyrus's lip synced version of her latest hit in the middle of the street. I am old enough to remember her father and his mullet and his achy breaky heart routine and I do not care to endure any musical performance from anyone with the last name of Cyrus ever again.


I guess my point is, I am feeling like we have come far enough as a society to allow people to NOT all be obligated to be up at that ungodly hour of 7 am. The song "Imagine" by John Lennon enters my mind. "Imagine no alarm clocks, it's easy if you can. No coffee, no Regis and Kelly, no express bus to midtown. Imagine all the people, sleeping life awaaaaaaay woo-hooo hoo hoo hoo:.....I think you get the picture. I realize that I am out of the norm on this one but it is my hope that someday, somewhere the people who are up and out at 7 am will be the freaks and I will be the norm. Kind of like that Twilight Zone Episode where the beautiful woman has plastic surgery to conform to the ideal of beauty in the society she is living in. She wakes up from surgery and they take her bandages off and and she is a stunningly beautiful woman. She looks in the mirror and screams bloody murder, the staff has to sedate her and restrain her from hurting herself at the disappointment. The camera then pans over to the Dr and the nurses in the room who are all considered the normal standard....and they all have horrible PIG FACES!!!!!! Yep, that's what I am feeling like here......I'm tired of being societies pig face, I want to be the norm, or not even the norm but not something frowned upon.



So here here!!! Throw out your alarm clocks and boycott Regis and Kelly and well as Good Morning America and enjoy a few more hours sleep. You know you need it anyway. And I will just bet that if you get that extra sleep you will be a hell of a lot nicer to deal with in the end as well!!


That's all for now. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

RE: Monday Mornings

I, much to your chagrin, used to be one of those perky, pesky morning, happy-to-greet the day types of people. Monday, Tuesday, Saturday, it didn't matter what day it was, I was always the "Upand at 'em" type, throwing open blinds and drapes and shades, and letting all the sunlight in that was possible! I lived for mornings and detested the night.

Something happened, though, as I started, um, aging...I have become more nocturnal, have raging insomnia and there are more frequent "I hate mornings" than "get up and greet the day" ones. In fact, I can't remember the last time I bounced out of bed and was ready to tackle the day ahead.

All this is to say that I feel your pain, literally. It takes me 1-2 hours before I can muster up enough strength to even get in the shower now. Going somewhere first thing in the morning requires a minimum of 2 1/2 hours prep time. I'm on your side, LMF, and hear you loud and clear! Let me know the day we will throw out our alarm clocks and I will certainly join you!!!

Zagara Mom

L.M.F said...

Hi Doodle Mom, your former way of life is exactly the kind of attitude that is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Yay for you joining the darkside!!!! Glad to have you!! :)