Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday Night Delight

As a child of the 70's/80's, I can now look back on some things what were shockingly embarrassing. This video/song is one of them. And it's not even the original one that I remember. This band was a one hit wonder which is why having their own TV show was quite surprising at the time. I was very young when this song was a HUGE hit and you heard it everywhere. I was shocked to read in the comments that this band beat out Elvis Costello and Van Halen for a Grammy for best new artist in 1976! I think I may have been 9 or 10 at the time. This explains why I did not pick up on the meaning of "afternoon delight". I just though it was having fun in the afternoon.

The original video showed people running around in a field surrounded by flowers and nature. In the tradition of videos shot at that time, it was incredibly low budget and now is just cringe-worthy to watch. I particularly love the women on the bridge watching in awe "OMG Marge!!! It's that Afternoon Delight band!!!" The construction workers are a nice touch too, they all look totally bemused. I do also enjoy the blond woman next to the guitar player doing her occasional rhythmic leg kicks in her sailor suit. Guess they didn't have a choreographer that day.

The funniest part of this is that a few months ago, my man and I were talking about this song because it was featured in a recent Wil Ferrel movie (Anchorman) and can you believe that to THIS DAY he thought it was a song about taking a nap or having a snack? I had to explain to him that it was about having sex in the afternoon. Quite possibly the unsexiest song ever written. If this doesn't make you sad you missed the 70's, nothing will. ....for your listening pleasure I present......


Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal Band:



2 comments:

WinterWheat said...

ROFL! Wherever did you find that? I loved that scene in Anchorman where they were all singing it in harmony.

I actually worked as a hostess at a restaurant in Ann Arbor called Afternoon Delight. I can assure you that there was nothing sexy about the place, nor was there anything sexy about the breakfast crowd who would come in demanding coffee and leave their tables smeared with butter. :-P

L.M.F said...

LOL!!! I cannot believe someone would name a restaurant that!It actually ruins my appetite, you poor thing! The anchorman version killed me too but I love WF, just looking at him makes me laugh. :)