Friday, July 3, 2009

Down?


As if you had any doubt in your mind about my mental instability, I am going to admit right here and now that I went to the movies tonight and saw "Up". It was a cartoon, for kids. I usually stay away from these types of movies but I was bored and didn't want to see any of the other selections so I went with this one. Hear me now people, this movie made me cry, I mean "needing a Kleenex" crying several times. Is a children's cartoon supposed to do this? I know they are supposed to be teaching lessons sometimes and all but damn, this was really intense for me. I won't tell you what did it because I don't want to spoil things for you if you plan on seeing it, but there were things that involved every aging person's worst fears. At one point, I was ugly crying. Thank God my companion knew me very well so I didn't feel embarrassed but the worst part was....he was crying right along with me!

Oh the movie was cute overall, I'm not trashing it. I'd recommend anyone seeing it. It was entertaining, funny in a kids movie kind of funny and it had a nice story etc etc. There were just some bittersweet, sad moments that took me by surprise. I certainly never expected to be crying at a Disney cartoon.

So if you are going to see "Up" and you are expecting lighthearted giggly laugh a minute fun, VIEWER BEWARE! And bring your tissues.

That's all for now :....(

2 comments:

Abby said...

The first time I teared up I could not believe it! A little boy with his mother behind me asked what happened. He didn't know what was going on, but he knew it was sad.

Despite the sad moments, I really enjoyed this movie. It was very poignant, especially considering it was a cartoon.

L.M.F said...

I totally agree! I went to a midnight show so it was mostly adults but a LOT of people were crying! The deadbeat dad element added to the sadness of the whole thing. It was bit deep for a cartoon but I really liked it too!