Thursday, December 3, 2009

Featured Beverage Review: Drank, the "Extreme Relaxation Beverage".



















Drank. Have you heard of it? A friend of mine casually said to me yesterday, "whoa, I drank a Drank and it totally knocked me on my ass". "What kind of drink?", said I. "A DRANK!", said he. I was then initiated into the world of Drank, the "extreme relaxation beverage."

From a marketing standpoint, it makes total sense. It's almost genius really. Red bull et al has been popular for years. It seems totally feasible that someone would come up with and sell something that relaxes you instead of hopping you up. This is where "Drank" comes in. I actually thought it was a joke at first and could not stop laughing. Drank? I kept saying it over and over and cracking up. The tag line on the can is "slow your roll". Everyone who knows me knows that my personal tag line when asked about my behavior or preferences is always "hey, that's how I roll". It's just something that I've said for years. To see a can of soda with the phrase "slow your roll' on it well, it was destiny for me to try it. Off I went to my local 7/11 and got a can. It was pretty $$$. $2.99 for a 16 ounce can. I was dying of curiosity so I plunked down the $ for it and off I went.

I must say here that the whole concept of this was inspired by a "drank" popular in hip hop circles. That would be a mixture of narcotic cough syrup promethezine codeine and soda. It looks purple and tastes sort of like a fruity grape soda. That concoction has killed a few people. This one is harmless and has a lot of sugar mixed with things like valerian root, melatonin and rose hips. Some of those things are supposed to induce sleep but the amount of sugar in this concoction seems like it would render any calming properties moot.

On the can it says "we have combined Rose hips, Melatonin and Valerian Root with a great tasting beverage to create the industries first "Relaxed Lifestyle Beverage". These ingredients have the ability to relax your body, mind and soul, so when life comes at you fast just remember to "slow your roll" with DRANK.

So last night, I finished my paperwork and and decided to get my Drank on whilst watching the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting on T.V. That was around 8:30 pm. By 9 pm I felt tired. I'm not sure if it was because of the Drank or my arduously long day. I was tired though. I also had issues finishing sentences ,but I think it was a placebo effect and possible "senior moments" I've been experiencing lately. The sugar in this stuff had to make any relaxing properties negligible.I can't be sure but I think it did. The thing that would deter me from drinking (or dranking) this again is that it has 220 calories per can! I am obsessed with my weight and never ever drink (or drank) my calories, I prefer to eat them. This stuff is loaded with sugar but it actually tastes pretty good. Sort of like a light grape flavored Mountain Dew. Way too sweet for me but not bad or medicinal tasting like some energy drinks are. I must say though that I had the best nights sleep I've had in a very long time. I slept from 11 pm till 7 am without any interruptions at all. This never happens, I always wake up throughout the night. Was it the Drank? I'm not sure. For now, I am going to continue to "slow my roll" calorie free with my Rite Aid generic "sleep aid" from the drugstore. That stuff completely renders me unconscious for about 10 hours. The bad part about it is the terrible hangover feeling I have in the morning and it is very difficult to get up after taking it. However, as a person who has insomnia at times when I really need to be sleeping, I need something like this to do the trick on occasion.

Thanks Drank, it was nice tryin' ya, you really did seem to slow my roll a bit. :)

No comments: