Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Bad Girl


Only a few days left till Christmas and I can hardly believe it. I'm not a big celebrator of it anymore but I still try to do something. I'm having my best friend over and we are going to hang out and eat something so I realized today that I needed to go buy some food. I went to Fairway, my favorite place to buy food. They simply have it all, even cooked foods and everything is delicious. I realize that I sound like an ad for them but I just can't rave highly enough about this place. For some reason I have been extremely lazy and I decided to buy already prepared things. Anyone who knows me, the former professional pastry chef, knows this is really alarming and a huge red flag indicating major holiday blues. I have always taken pride in my culinary skills and I actually enjoy showing them off but this year, just...no. I actually consider Fairway to be close to what I would actually make if I wasn't being totally lazy. I ended up with lasagna Bolognese, eggplant Florentine, meatballs, broccoli rabe with garlic and garlic bread. A huge chewy almond paste cookie and a walnut brownie for dessert. As I left, I was feeling pretty industrious and pretty good about myself.

I went to dinner with a lovely co-worker/buddie and I then set about my journey home with all my bags of rich, decadent food. Frankly, I was feeling a bit guilty since I always pork up over the holidays and I was thinking about my weight the entire way home and how I seriously need to expanding ass get back to my damned Weight Watchers meetings as soon as New Years is over. I arrived at my stop and got off the train. I trudged up the stairs and was a few blocks from my place when I heard a small voice behind me, "Excuse me, didn't you used to go to weight watchers meetings?" I froze in my tracks and turned around and saw a lovely young lady who indeed did attend the same meetings that I did. BUSTED. I looked down at my food bags and her and I shook my head in defeat. "Yes, yes I did". Turns out, she wanted to know if there was a meeting tonight because she couldn't remember the schedule. We ended up talking and I said to her, "you know, I think in the spirit of Christmas, the baby Jesus put you in my fat path to get me on track again!". We both laughed about it but damn, first I get busted by Vince the weigh in guy at Rite Aid buying candy (see old posts here) and now this? I am like a pathetic alcoholic with food, up/down, up/down over and over. She said to me, "well, you and I are always going to have to struggle aren't we?" I agreed and realized that while I may have escaped the alcohol addiction that seems to run in my family, I got hit with a food one and I really am an addict, only my drug of choice is cheese and good bread and chocolate etc etc.....I swear, I think that girl was a plant from Weight Watchers. Every time I am being "bad" I run into someone from my group like some strange secret message or something. Oh and lets not forget the emails and postcards from Weight Watchers saying "we miss you! please come back!" THEY JUST KNOW WHAT I'VE BEEN UP TO!

And with that, I am off to dinner!

No comments: