Monday, January 11, 2010

I'm Back!



Hey kids! How's the new year going for you so far? Are you making good on those resolutions? I generally do not make resolutions but I said to myself on NY's eve, "damn girl, you getting really puffy. Tomorrow you need to restart Weight Watchers".

The shocking thing is, when I woke up feeling disgustingly large and like a very unsexy humpty dumpty I actually made good on my promise to myself. I began counting points (weight watchers system) and I never looked back. Salad has made a big comeback, tons of water and herbal tea everyday along with very limited sweets and accounting for everything I put in my mouth. I have not gone to a live meeting yet but I have a monthly pass membership that I maintain even when I am eating badly. I always know that I will eventually come back to my mother ship and I always do.

This morning I weighed myself. Are ya ready for this? *drum roll* I LOST 7.4 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!. Never in the history of my dieting attempts have I managed to pull something like this off. Even when I was really big I could only lose 4 pounds in a week and that was the first week only. Generally I lose at a snails pace, about 2 to 3 pounds a month if even. I am back into my pants and they are not cutting off my circulation like a tourniquet and I only have 10 lbs to go till I get to my goal. ROCK AND ROLL BABY!

If you are feeling shitty about your weight and don't know what to do, I cannot recommend Weight Watchers highly enough. Thirteen years ago the program showed me how to eat and I lost 89 lbs. I spent my whole life as a very big girl and after my mom died I vowed to make her proud and be the best me I could be. She lost a large amount on Weight Watchers when I was a kid and that was way back when you had to make your own ketchup! They called it "legal" ketchup. I cannot even imagine how hard it was then but she did it and I learned by example.

My life has been completely different since I lost that weight. I can shop in any store, I don't have to obsess over something making me look fat because I'm not! I can ride a bike and hike and wear cute shorts and bathing suits and not be embarrassed. Dating is easier and my whole mental attitude has completely changed. I never regained the bulk of that weight, 20 pounds was the limit for me. Life as a normal sized person is such a joy that I never ever want to go back to the way it used to be. Sorry if I sound preachy but getting back in touch with my vow to myself to never be fat again kinda makes me that way. No overweight person is truly OK with it no matter what they claim. Overeating is not really about the food even if that food is really fantastic and you're enjoying it, it's about using the food as a coping mechanism or as a friend to help you deal with things you do not want to deal with head on. When I lost my 89 lbs I met the love of my life and I went back to school for another career. I made some great lifelong friends too. These events and the timing of them were no coincidence. When my food and eating is in control, my life is in control. Here's to looking and feeling healthy and hot in 2010!

That's all for now :)

No comments: