Saturday, August 1, 2009

On sneakers and stretch pants.....


Meet my new sneakers. Aren't they cute? I just had to have them. I love anything that glitters even though I normally dress pretty boringly. I have to be unexciting for work. I wear jeans daily but they are nice ones and I usually wear a nice top and cute sneakers, Puma's for the most part.

So I went to the outlets shopping yesterday. Have you done this? Going to the outlets always makes me feel like buying a ton of crap I don't need but yesterday was pretty good, I had great restraint and didn't buy much at all. I went crazy at the Lindt Chocolate outlet, can you believe such a place exists? If there is one place I'd like to be locked up in over night that would be it. It's like Toys R Us for grown ups. So I also got the fancy sneakers and even the gentleman I was shopping with said to me, "normally, I could not see a person pulling those off but you do it quite well, get those and rock them!".

So on the way home I started to wonder, am I becoming one of those people who is not age appropriate? I see women my age that dress like teen vixens and then there are those who look like they have given up and they look old and frumpy. I try to get myself somewhere in between but I really sometimes wonder. I am in my 40's, should I really be wearing the same thing as teenagers? Will people be laughing and pointing at me in my exciting new sneakers? Do I care if they are pointing and laughing at me? It's kind of a fear of mine that as I get older I am going to lose touch and be one of those people who looks dated with my hair and clothes. You've seen people like this havn't you? A person who looks like they found a "look" that may have been working for them at a certain age and they never saw a need to change it so they have the same hair, same make-up, same type of clothes as they did at that time even if it is years later?

I am so afraid of this that I made my hair stylist promise to tell me if I look like a crazy old lady with my hair at some point. I have long curly red hair that I can not imagine ever getting rid of, but I am also aware that there might come a day when I look like Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" and I would really hope to avoid this at all costs. I have a couple of friends who have promised to do this for me too. A gay man and a straight woman so I have all style bases covered. They have been instructed to be brutally honest with me and tell me if I am beginning to look foolish. At this point, I am about to start lifting weights too. My arms are looking tragic lately due to weight loss and aging and nothing gives you away more than flabby pasty arms. The weight lifting is for vanity as well as building some muscle that I am losing at this age.

With all the thinking I was doing last night I wondered if there will come a time when I give in to frump and wear things that stretch all the time. Namely pants. When does the transition to polyester happen? Will it happen to me? Oh and here's one I was wondering too. We were watching a commercial for life insurance for retiree's on TV and the background music was all old time big band stuff. I said to my companion, "when we're really old, will the music on these commercials be Meatloaf, Beyonce, The Rolling Stones or Kanye? That would be music that was popular when we were young, none of us would relate to Glen Miller etc.". We thought about that one for a minute.

I guess in the end, there is nothing you can do about some of these things. I'm pretty Ok with aging and I'm not being too neurotic about it, but every once in a while I wonder about these little random things. Not enough to stop me from looking to get another pair of my new sneakers in red though!

That's all for now! ;)

2 comments:

Marquis_de_Brieu said...

Can't those shoes walk you over to The Forum? =D

L.M.F said...

Hi C!!! (((((hugs)))) you're sweet! I owe you a mail very soon and will explain my mysterious disappearance, thinking of you and hope you are happy and well!! xoxo