Sunday, September 13, 2009

At Last.....


My loooooove has come alonnnnnng, my lonely days are oveeeer ...and life is liiiiike a ...etc etc. You know that song? Sung by the great Etta James? Well that is what I heard in my head as I slowly approached the freezer case at my local Stop and Shop which displayed Ben and Jerry's Mission to Marzipan ice cream. After complaining to you in a post below about not being able to find this amazing sounding stuff, I tracked it down today. I was so excited, the world stopped revolving for me for a second as I locked "eyes" with it. It was like finding a priceless gem at a garage sale. No one else seemed to even notice it, there was a full display of it untouched. After lovingly gazing at it for a tender moment, I gently placed it in my basket knowing that we would be alone later on and I could tell it how special it was away from the prying eyes of my local Stop and Shop frozen foods aisle. I got home and greedily grabbed a spoon the minute I got inside my door. My lips eagerly trembled and my heart was pounding like that of a virgin on her wedding night. And this, this is the image that I saw as I closed my eyes and swirled that glorious almondy sweet cream concoction around again and again with my softly probing tongue in disbelief that it was really as good as I thought it might be.




Yes, Mr Hugh Jackman, you've got competition in my demented, fantasy ridden brain. It was THAT good. It it didn't already have a name it would have earned it right there. The only thing that I can imagine tasting this good is Hugh Jackman himself. The idea of Hugh Jackman actually covered in this stuff was just too much for me to even let myself consider. I felt faint just imagining that one. I did actually get to "meet" him once when I saw him in a play on Broadway. I never liked him before meeting him but after that I became completely gaga over him. I also worked with a woman who knew a friend of his wife's and she ended up getting to hang out with him when she went back to her native land of Australia and she reported that yes, not only is he a total sex bomb, he is the most genuinely nice guy you could ever imagine.

This ice cream is like what I would imagine a nite with Hugh to be like. It starts out as smooth and pleasingly sweet but not too sweet, just the right amount of sweet, then you get pleasant little surprises of different textures and mouth feels throughout. A tiny bit of bitterness with the bitter almond flavor, that bitterness give it a little bad boy edge that makes it even more irresistible. Just when you think you've had enough, you want one more taste, and again and again. You want to stop ,but you can't because it is just sooooooo goooood and what the hell, how often do you get a chance to do something like this? So you go for it and when it's done there you are, completely satisfied, the slight guilt from overdoing it doesn't matter because you know it will be a long time before you do it like that again and you sit and daydream about how it was again from beginning to end till you eventually drift off with Hugh, er, I mean the container next to you as a fond reminder that yes, it really did happen.

*slaps self*.......So back to the Ice Cream..... OH MY GOD. People, if you like marzipan or almond, this is IT. It reminds me of a frozen Amaretto Cream cake, or a pimped out version of a Good Humor Toasted Almond bar. IT KICKS ASS! PLEEEEEEASE guys, do not ever discontinue this one like you did my all time favorite White Russian. I used to drive to the first B&J shop in Saratoga NY near where I grew up with a cooler in the back seat of the car and buy a quart at a time. That was the best ice cream I ever had in my life and nothing has ever come close since. According to Ben and Jerry it became too expensive to make so they stopped. And my heart broke on that day. I still remember it, it was an ivory color, you could taste the Kahlua in it....oh my was it just the most heavenly ice cream ever. When it was coldly ripped away from me I turned to Pistachio, Pistachio. That is my current favorite. They stopped making that one for a while too but it is back and just as wonderful. This Marzipan offering is going to take the top spot for me at this time. I also tried another new one that was outrageous as well, it was called "Cake Batter". It is yellow cake batter flavored ice cream with a fudge frosting swirl throughout. This too is really worthy and delicious, everything you would expect it to be.

I must say that I normally do not eat "real" ice cream. It does not fit into my relatively healthy diet and I am always looking to lose a few pounds or at least maintain myself at a good weight. Ice cream does not fit in for me. I usually have the low fat stuff but for this, I would gladly measure out 1/2 cup and fit it into my plan as a treat. This was worth the search and the walk to get it but I am a bit relieved that it is not sold on every corner around here or I would end up on the biggest loser as a contestant in the next year.

5 spoon salute for Mission to Marzipan!!!!!

No comments: