Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The way every bad day should end


Look at this picture. It looks like pure fancy schmantzy indulgence doesn't it? It is. It is a stunningly huge Baccarat Urn full of pure french parfum being decanted into a smaller bottle for yours truly to take home in her hot little hands. If I didn't do this today I would have gone completely insane.

Last Saturday, I went on an all day excursion looking for new snow boots. My very good friends invited me to go to the outlets, which is something we do yearly during holiday sales. It always starts with a text message that says merely "You in"?. Then I know, we're on. This year, in my effort to simplify my life and stop shopping for things I do not need, I knew that I had a mission. It was to buy some sensible boots for rain/snow inclement weather. My previous boots were removed from my foot after breaking my ankle. Removing them involved cutting them which left me with no more waterproof boots. After many, many hours of searching, I was completely defeated and nearly gave up. I cannot believe how many snow boots are not waterproof! I even went to the Uggs outlet ,despite hating them, and I was shocked to find out that the entire store only had one pair of boots that was water RESISTANT. They weren't even waterproof. I do a lot of walking and trudging in bad weather, and there is nothing worse than wet feet. I was determined to find something, anything short of covering my feet in Ziploc baggies that would truly make my feet the dry little ovens that I need to be walking around with during cold, wet weather. FINALLY I hit pay dirt at the venerable Bass outlet. I am happy to say that they now have quite a few stylish pieces and they have moved away from the Grandma in New England look. You can still look like Grandma there but there are some pretty stylish items too that are a great mix of comfort and functionality that I am not totally embarrassed to be wearing. The sale was unbelievable, 70 percent off and another 10% off from a coupon I had. My boots were practically free! They are totally cute, completely waterproof and warm and I now feel ready to face the snow and slush.

I also hit the Lindt chocolate outlet (full report to follow) and the Victoria's Secret outlet to pick up a couple of gifts. I do not like Victoria's Secret at all, but they had a slew of high end makeup for 75% off and I managed to get some gifts out of the way pretty easily. I must say that the glitter mascara that was there for about $3 on clearance is EXACTLY like Guerlains fairy mascara from a few years ago if you like that sort of thing. The best part of the experience was the free Spice Girls CD that was the "gift of the day". I scoffed at first but after coming home and listening to it I have to admit, it was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined it would be. I would never ever spend money on it but for a freebie it was pretty hot and toe tapping.

Everything sounds good so far right? Guess again because it was at that peaceful happy moment that (to be said in foreboding Dateline announcer voice) SOMETHING WENT HORRIBLY WRONG.I showered and got into bed after that long tiring day of shopping. There I was, laying there in my warm comfy bed, completely surrendering to sleep when at 1 am it suddenly began to rain in my bedroom . Yes, rain. Pretty hard. On me. On my face, my bed, down the side of my wall. I jumped up, I screamed. I yelled. there was hooting, and there was hollering. This did no good. After about 4 minutes, it stopped. I managed to change my sheets and go back to sleep with one eye and ear open and I called my landlord in the AM. He came over and determined that it was the sink of the person above me. Then came the statement that has a place in my worst nightmare. "I'm sorry but we are going to have to open up your ceiling". I shrieked "WHAT?". He said it again. I shrieked again. And maybe again. And then I set to the horrendous task of cleaning UNDER THE BED. You see, under the bed needed to be totally cleaned out because that space was exactly where he needed to put his ladder to cut my roof open. That was how I spent Sunday. I also went to the dollar store and bought about 8 plastic shower curtain liners to cover everything else in my bedroom in preparation for the onslaught of drilling and whatever other god awful activities were about to occur in my gentle oasis from the world. My snow boot/Spice Girl high was long destroyed by this ugly turn of events. Hours later it was done, the area was completely vacant. My mattress was in my kitchen. I waited anxiously for him to come back and commence. It took him an extra day to get supplies and guess what? He managed to do it from above, ripping apart the floor of the poor soul above me and leaving my ceiling intact. All my the stress was for nothing! I now have a clean dry bedroom again and a lot less clutter so some good did come from it after all.

After dealing with this turbulence in my placid little world, I tutted off to the plush but not overly ostentatious glory that is the Caron boutique on 58th and lex today after a Dr appt and finally, FINALLY got a giant bottle of delicious parfum to split with my very good friend! This purchase had been planned for about a year and a half and it was on sale this week for 20% off! GOOD TIMES! So the ladylike hand you see above was a sight for this girls sore eyes. Here's to being dry and smelling good!

That's all for now! :)

1 comment:

Abby said...

What beautiful Caron scent did you buy?

My bathroom is being remodeled and has been torn up for a month now. It is driving me crazy. I have used this time to sort and weed out many unused items that just take up space.

I enjoy reading your blog. Love the pictures, too.