Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sexy Salt


If salt could be sexy, this would be that salt. These Pics are taken from Marxfoods.com. Thanks to a comment from Emily on my last entry here, I mosied over to marxfoods.com and took a peek at these gorgeous accoutrement's. WOW. Did I say WOW? I had previously mentioned my love for truffle salt and now I am on a full blown salt exploratory mission. Thankfully I have low blood pressure and I do not have to limit myself from salt or this would be really killing me to look at from afar. The salts being offered here are from a company called Ritrovo and they are: truffle salt, a saffron salt, a fennel salt, a "sweet and salt" (a melange of diff flavors, fruit, spices, vanilla, chocolate), a fiore and salt (an aromatic blend, chamomile, poppy, mallow, marigold, lime, hawthorn, yarrow, wild orange peel, flower pollen, heather and lavender ), a sea and salt (citrus , tomato, cardamom), and a limited edition Italian salt. The thing about flavored salt is that you only need a tiny bit to make a difference in your food. I plan on investigating these in the near future. I entered the contest, but have just about as much of a chance of winning that as I do of winning the megamillions lottery drawing.

I never win anything. Oh, except the time I won an ashtray. Yeah, I know. I was 10 at the time. It was the biggest letdown of my life at that point. I was at a baby shower (WTF??) and there was a grab bag prize and my number was picked. I was so thrilled my little self was shaking with excitement. I reached into the bag in front of everyone and pulled out a box at random and opened it and there it was. An ashtray! It was the 70's and I guess smoking wasn't as shunned or gross as it is now. Even our incoming president has the good sense to hide his nasty habit from us, many people do not even know that he smokes he concealed it so well. Anyway, it was the era of Virginia Slims and the "you've come a long way baby" commercials in all the women's magazines. Remember those? It was always a glamorous woman in a gorgeous dress, fully done up and defiantly puffing on her ugly ciggie. No one offered to let me pick anything else so I gave it to my Mom who smoked L&M's at the time. I was pretty pissed for the rest of that stupid shower and acted bratty and asked to go home about 23 times until we finally did.

Aaaaaaanyhoo...back to the salt. I picked up some porcini salt last night in case on the very off chance that I won this contest I would have the others and I can say that it is extremely porcini-ish and really delicious. I plan on using it in something today. I had it on leftover pasta last night and it was a wonderful flavor booster. If I do win the salts I will happily review all here. If not I will probably try a few of the ones that I will use the most and discuss here over time.


As a "what will we be paying for the used to be free next" side note, can you believe we are buying things like salt and bottled water for the prices we are now being charged for them? There are even oxygen "bars" where you can pay for air too if you are so inclined. Of course, this salt is supersonic sexy out of this world salt so that kinda doesn't apply here but it tickles me to imagine that if you woke up my Grandma who died in 1936 and showed her bottled water and fancy salt with the price tags attached she would probably choke and die another death all over again from the shock of it all. Of course the smell of any one of these fabulous salts would have surely revived her again. That said, I am dying to try these goodies and eventually I will try some and report back here to you! I could smell the saffron and truffle ones through the jars last night at the store so I am sure these are definitely something special.

That's all for now!

1 comment:

Salty Lass said...

Hi Miss FussBudget,

You may also enjoy naturally infused sea salts that are hand-made in Seattle. Flavors include Coconut Garam Masala, Vanilla, Soy, Caramel, Pineapple Cumin Chili.... just to name a few.

Take a peak:

www.secretsalts.com