Friday, November 28, 2008

Newfangled Technology


For quite a while now I have been saying that I need a new TV. Now it's not something that I am saying because I WANT a new one, I truly need one. The TV that I have was my Mothers. I bought it for her when she moved into her last residence. It is at least 15 to 16 years old. I remember I was so proud of myself when I bought it. I had a really crappy job at the time and I saved for quite a while. It was/is a magnavox. Do they even still exist anymore? I don't think so. Anyway, it was newfangled at the time. It was a stereo TV. This was when they first became popular. I wanted the best for my Mama. When she died, I inherited it. At the time, it was still a great TV. Over the years it has remained a pretty nice TV. It had a great picture, nice sounds, it was perfectly fine for me. Even though it now makes an odd noise at times and the picture is a bit off once in a while, I never felt like I was missing out on anything. Until now.

My local TV channels are regularly having educational programs with dire warnings about the broadcast Armageddon that will happen on February 19th. Unless a TV is digital or connected to cable it will be obsolete without a converter box. God forbid anyone should be without a TV! Quelle Horreur! To be honest with you, I have not had cable for many years. I decided long ago that I was not going to be a person who lived my life around my favorite shows. I only have one now and I do not need cable to see it. I live in a city where they are many things to do and I don't really need TV to entertain me. That is why I moved to a big city, I get bored sitting in the house watching TV, I need real life action. All that aside, I suddenly felt like I had been asleep for 20 years a la Rip Van Winkle and all this technology was about to leave me behind in the dust. That is when I decided...I MUST GET AN HDTV AND BE DONE WITH IT.

I began my research, immediately going to Cnet which is where I always go when faced with electronic quandaries. I went straight to the TV buying guide and determined that I wanted an LCD TV, not plasma and I located the top models in the size range I was interested in. I began the torture of reading the most boring article on the diff between 720 and 1080 res among other things and I went searching equipped with enough knowledge to appear like I did a little homework while dealing with the dreaded electronic sales guy. You know the type, he rattles off every feature you never use, care about or have ever heard of no matter how much you read and you can only get that glazed over dear in the headlights look while listening to him. The whole experience really made me want to cry. I remembered that the last time I bought a TV, there was really nothing to consider. You went to the store, looked at the TV and price and that was it. Now it is like a second job figuring out what to buy. I ended up calling my electronic savvy friend Kevin about 6 times in one day. He was surely cringing inside when I asked the dumbest questions ever posed relating to the TV situation. But better Kevin than some guy who wants to make a nice commission off of me.

I vowed I was not going to go to any black Friday sales but I do live about a 10 minute walk from a major NYC electronics chain and after doing my online research I decided to go and have a look at the different picture resolutions, sizes etc. My trip was intended just for research purposes because I planned to buy online and have a set delivered. I blasted into that store with the determination of a woman who did not want to be treated like a dummy. Luckily, I met Jonathan, a friendlybutnotinacreepyway ponytailed sales guy . He was a pretty young, no nonsense guy who could tell I had had enough, and that this whole TV thing was just getting on my last nerve. I asked him to tell me the diff between two of the TVs that were drastically on sale. He did. I told him what my needs were and asked which one he recommended for me. Much to my surprise, he actually told me that the cheaper was was a better TV and would be perfect for what I wanted it for. Of course, it sold out at 9 am BUT....he would gladly sell me one today at that price and when the new shipment arrives from the warehouse on Dec 10th I can just drop by and pick it up. Having dealt with this store before and knowing that they are reputable and honest I waved my hand at him and firmly said..."lets do it" and off I tutted behind him to the register.

Thirty minutes in that store and a grand total of $529 later, the Fussbudget SCORED and is now the relieved owner of a Sony 32 inch HDTV! A few tears will more than likely be shed when old Bessie is laid to rest at curbside in two weeks but she had a wonderful life and was loved by two devoted owners who gave her a more than respectable run. RIP Bessie :(

That's all for now!

No comments: