Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Elegance in a nutshell


Elegance, it's the only word that really pops into my head when I see Diane from my favorite perfume boutique, Caron in NYC. Look at her, isn't she just beckoning out to you to step in and take a load off? (See post below for details). Caron is a beautiful place that hearkens back to another place and time when people used words like "hearkens" and gingerly in sentences with a straight look on their faces. They would also say things like..."gee it was grand of you to come and see me!" Gay meant happy and ladies wore white gloves and hats and powdered their noses. Speaking of powder, Caron makes the finest face powder in the world. There is a heavier foundation powder and a lighter setting powder and shimmer powder with a beautiful glow and the finest texture I've ever experienced. The powders smell like roses and violets which really adds to the glam of it and the huge down powder puffs for sale at Caron really make a gal feel like Queen for a day or at least for as long as it takes to apply your face powder! I have been through so many containers of this powder over the years that I have lost track, and I rarely rebuy anything, it's THAT good! There is only one Caron boutique in this country and some of the fragrances are very,very old and beautiful. They are complex and rich and just breathtaking. I feel lucky to get to visit this place on a regular basis. Believe me, it looks intimidating and it may sound snooty to you, but it is a very warm welcoming place and if you are in NYC and in the market for perfume or face powder please stop by and say hello to Diane. She is perched above the Phyto universe on 58th Street and Lexington avenue and she would be more than happy to introduce you to these finer things in life!

No comments: