Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Old times


I was having a conversation the other day with someone when I made a comment that made him laugh. I guess I used a seldom used phrase and it came across as charming. I didn't do it on purpose, it was something I say from time to time. To be honest, my mom had me when she was 40 and the age difference was like that between a grandma and her grandchild. Because of this I guess I was exposed to lots of words and phrases that others my age were not. After that moment, we tried to think of some rarely used words that seem to have fallen out of favor and so far, this is what I've come up with...



Divan, Settee or Davenport = a sofa type of couch

Sideboard, buffet = an extra table that you put food on in your dining room

Billfold = wallet

Chest of drawers, bureau = dresser

Cotton Swab = Q-tip

Mimeograph (original can be seen in feaured picture here)= copy machine

Dungarees = jeans

Slacks = pants

Cream rinse = hair conditioner

Permanent (now called a perm) = hmmm, a procedure where your hair is rendered curly. People don't really get these much anymore as far as I know. They would smell awful and you always knew when someone had one because they looked like a puffy, frizzy poodle. They never looked good.

Ice box = refrigerator

Victrola = my aunt still says this for record player, CD player, etc

Oleo = it was a brand of margarine back in the day

Macadam = anything paved

Pocketbook, otherwise pronounced as a Pock-a-book = purse

Underpants, bloomers = panties, underwear (I still say underpants, I loathe panties)

Moving picture show = movie

Drapes = curtains




Just a few expressions:

Down the road a piece = a quaint way of saying something is just down the road

Sweet fancy moses! = not old but my own fave, a phrase used by Jerry and George on the TV show Seinfeld when they are subjected to watching Elaine dance


I look like the wreck of the Hesperus! (my mom's personal signature phrase). A Longfellow poem about a real ship wreck that occurred in 1838, used to describe a person who is in a disheveled state.

Hell in a hand basket. Damned if I know, I love it, use it but I do not know the origins of it.

He really frosts me! A favorite of my elderly aunt, means to anger.



And two bonus gems from my Mother:



I gotta pee so bad I can taste it!

I am so hungry my stomach's touching my backbone!


That's all I could think of for now! :)

No comments: