Thursday, June 17, 2010

Featured Fragrance Review: Sabon Zohar (Musk)



It's been a long time since I talked about a fragrance but it is a huge passion of mine. I have so many perfumes I rarely buy anything new these days and for me to mention it, it has to be something really special for me. I hate smelling like strong perfume, but I love smelling delectable and making people want to come a little closer.


Musk is something that is really iffy for me. It's either love or extreme hate depending on the musk. I hate strong animalic musk. If it's a really dirty, earthy musk I am reminded of bad B.O. and trying to cover it up. It can smell cheap and overwhelming and make me want to get away from you if it's that type of musk. If it's done right it smells clean, soft and nuzzly. Santa Maria Novella's Muschio Oro is my favorite but it's much more than musk. It's soapy, clean, sweet and soft, just wonderful. People follow me around when I wear it. At first it is sharp and too soapy but when it calms down it is the perfect skin scent. I've had everyone from young women to 80 year old men tell me I smell wonderful when I wear this one.


I was recently strolling by a Sabon store here in NYC and walked in to see what was up. I tried the musk and at first I was completely anosmic to it and could not smell a thing. After about 10 minutes it revealed itself and it was fantastic! If you know the scent Perfect Veil, it is similar to that but much better. I would not know it was a musk if I didn't see it on the label. It seems that these are the types of musks I favor. It is soft, sweet, a tiny bit floral but so soft that you don't really feel like you're wearing perfume. I tried the body oil since they were out of the perfume and it lasted for hours on my skin and seemed to have really decent sillage for a body oil. Unfortunately, the store has been sold out of the musk perfume formulation for a while and they are waiting to get more in so I cannot comment on that. The oil is fantastic and $19 for a large spray bottle. It's totally worth it. If you liked The Body Shops White Musk, Jovan White musk, Perfect Veil...those types of scents, this is much better than all of those. While it is clean, it is not at all soapy and there is absolutely no sharpness at all to it. It is a gentle caressing whisper on your skin, barely noticeable but it's there in a really sexy, come closer way. I cannot recommend it highly enough! Really nice to apply when your skin is damp just out of the shower.


Incidentally, I would love to smell this on a man, it can easily be a unisex fragrance as well.



EDIT: Was able to try the EDP formulation and it was a bit different and had a hairspray vibe and was a bit thicker and sweeter smelling. The final drydown after about an hour was nice but I prefer this scent in the body oil if I have to choose. It's gentler, softer and easier to wear for me.

That's all for now :)

No comments: