Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Husband Miguel


Let me tell you about the unexpected joys of spending 5 days a week with my work husband Miguel. I work in health care and my job requires traveling all day long and interacting with many people who speak a different language than I do. This is where Miguel comes in. His purpose is as an interpreter between myself and my patients but here is where the beauty part is. Miguel drives, which means I basically have a chauffeur all day long. Of course, my bosses know nothing of Miguel and his car which is intentional. I am already traveling so much I know they would completely take advantage of me more they they already do so Miguel and I keep this part of our relationship on the down low.

The funny part about this whole situation is that the dynamic between us is probably the best relationship I have ever had with any man ever period. I find it really fascinating that Miguel treats me like a queen and knows my quirks, habits, likes, dislikes. Every morning when I wake up, I text Miguel and tell him where to meet me. He will reply nothing more than ..."OK". From the minute I step foot in his car, my 28 ounce Poland Spring sport water bottle and my 25c bag of crunchy cheese doodles (snack of choice) are right there in my seat along with the daily paper. We greet each other, I get my daily "whassup girl?" and we are off.

Miguel is the calmest person I have ever known. He can drive through a massive traffic jam without blinking, take me past a crime scene(which he has in the dicey neighborhood where I work) simply mumbling "oh Lorrrrd, someone's been murdered again" .....he surprises me with a Cuban (sandwich) at least once a week and he consistently tells me to calm down (I freak out daily about anything and everything) and he compliments me on recent weight loss. We talk about relationships, family, work...etc. We are the two most unlikely people to be hanging out together on earth. He is probably about 15 years younger than me but he is under the impression that we are not that far apart in age because I look far younger than I am. Our backgrounds are as far apart as they could be too.

The thing that tickles me is that he treats me better than he probably would if we were actually in a real relationship. This had made me realize that sex is probably the thing that RUINS everything. Yes I know, that is a very warped point of view and kind of extreme of me to say, but I think it makes people comfortable enough after it happens to not have to worry or try as much anymore in CERTAIN (not all of course) instances. One day, we were talking and I was bitching at him for forgetting names, he never remembers anyone's name, even people we see three times a week for months at a time. I said to him, Miguel, you remember my name, why can't you remember our patients who we see regularly? He said without missing a beat, 'You're my wife! Of course I remember your name!" That pretty much sums it up.

I sometimes wonder what is going through that mans head of his and I have caught him on occasion sneaking a peek at my assets, but it is an unspoken fact between us that we are a team and will never go there, if you know what I mean. So for now, I am going to enjoy my "husband" and all the wonderful things he does for me everyday. I am aspiring to carry this over into my "real" life one day too.

No comments: